Pages

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Baby Leg Warmers & Euro Shams

I just completed two projects. Yippee!

First up was the baby leg warmers. Sheila posted a link for these ages ago on Facebook and because it was mid-winter and I had a newborn I thought it was a great idea. (Once he starts crawling it will protect his little knees and I've also heard they come in handy for midnight diaper changes as well as easy access while potty training.) So while at Target I picked up two pairs of women's knee-high socks in the most masculine patterns they had and then proceeded to let them sit on the kitchen counter for a month. From the kitchen they moved on to the butler's pantry where they sat for a few more months. And here they are finally completed.

You know there are tons of babies who need leg warmers in July in Alabama. Oh, you didn't know that? Well there are. Let me just tell you....

It's a pretty simple tutorial really. I made two pairs in about ten minutes total. If you need more detailed instructions you can find them all over the internet.

1. Cut out heel and toe. Discard. This should leave you with a long tube with a cuff on one end and a short tube with no finished edges. The beauty of working with knits is that they don't fray. The pain of working with knits is that they like to roll at the cut edges. 




2. Fold short tube in half and insert unfinished edge of long tube through the short tube. Pin all three layers together. The pinning is necessary to keep the layers from rolling. I did one out of the four without pins and it was a pain. 


3. Stitch with approximately 1/4" seam allowance. You want to make sure you have all three layers. You can always trim it after sewing if the seam is too bulky. And then TA-DA..... 10 minutes later (or less possibly) and you have two pairs of leg warmers.


Now on to the next project which is something you've seen before. I finally got around to completing the second pillow sham for Sam's room. Here is a pic of them on the daybed. Overall I'm pretty happy with the fit.

I know, I know. Holy window treatment overload, Batman! And no, I'm not hiding any mini-blinds behind the roller blinds/sheer/valance combo. Let's just focus on the pillows, shall we?


This is a close up of the quilt and shams with the Walter Anderson print that helped encourage the color scheme. It was a gift from my brother and sister-in-law for Christmas and was the first thing we hung on the walls in this house. It was sort of a happy accident that the colors in the fabric matched the colors in the print so while it was originally intended for the living room I thought it looked great in Sam's room.


It's only lunch time and I've already finished two projects?! I wonder what else I can get done today...

2 comments:

  1. I'm taking that print back if you put those on that little boy. He needs some callouses on those knees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't like them? I bet Sam will think they're awesome!

    ReplyDelete