Pages

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Something from something

It amazes me what you can come up with from your fabric scrap stash. Wow. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who hates to throw fabric away because I think I "might be able to use this some day." I just started a basket where I'm going to dump all scraps that are of a useable shape and size. I've learned that the key to being a semi-hoarder is to occasionally go through your stores and discard. Otherwise it just gets out of control.

My project today is along the same lines as yours. A few weeks back I made a romper for Sam. It was a little big but I thought he might grow into it. See pictures of said romper below (along with pics of the world's cutest baby). Clearly he loves it and would have been proud to wear it.



Well as he grew into it I noticed that the shoulders were still a little wide and the body was way too long. By the time those two parts of it fit him the legs and bum wouldn't. So I did what any resourceful seamstress would do... I cut that joker in half and made a diaper cover. 


Cute, huh? I would have liked to do the patch with a coordinating fabric but didn't have any so this is what we've got. Here are the steps although I can't promise I didn't skip taking pictures. I got a lot flustered since it's been awhile since I used the embroidery on my sewing machine. I literally had to dust it off with a rag. It has always intimidated me so I just avoided it but after this little adventure I daresay I might be whipping it out quite regularly. 

From romper to diaper cover

Step 1: Remove snap tape and stitch crotch closed. I had already done french seams (I don't own a serger and this fabric frayed a ton) on the inside so I continued with that method. Stitch wrong sides together, trim to about 1/4" and then invert and stitch right sides together. It takes a little longer and involves a little more brain power but the end result is worth it in my opinion. I used a smaller stitch length since the crotch is generally a high-stress area for garments.
Pin wrong sides together.


Small stitch length. Don't forget to reverse at the beginning and end.

Sew again, right sides together this time.

Step 2: Cut romper in half. I laid a pair of shorts that currently fits Sam on top of the romper to see how high up I needed to cut it. I then gave myself a good 2 inches so that I could do a double elastic waistband since I only had 1/4" elastic and I didn't want it to pinch his little waist too much. I was totally preparing to throw away the top of the romper, after removing the buttons of course, but looking at it now I think I could find a coordinating fabric and make a little girls dress from it. What do you think, Sheila? I bet Ollie could rock it. Maybe I'll send it your way.....

Cut 2" above waistband of shorts that already fit. 


Step 3: Make a patch to applique on the bum. So here's where I probably lose most of you since it's not terribly common for your sewing machine to also do embroidery. I have my Mom and grandmother (Hi, Yoyo!) to thank for this gift. But you could still use the same steps, minus the machine embroidery, to applique a store-bought or hand-sewn patch. I just can't leave well enough alone (another thing we have in common!) so I made one.

Iron on tear away stabilizer is a must. I also had the water soluble kind but used this instead.

All set to embroider. Isn't that race car cute also? I'm sure you'll see it again. ;)

Embroidery in progress.

I did the train first and then, leaving the hoop in place, added Sam's name. The 'm' is a little closer than I intended but I was guessing on the needle position. 
 Step 4: Attach patch to diaper cover using applique stitch. You can also use a zigzag stitch if your machine doesn't do applique.

Cut out patch and pin onto back of diaper cover.
I made sure I was right along the edge of the patch the entire time. Leave your needle in the down position to turn the corner and carry on.

 Step 5: Sew casing for elastic and then insert elastic using a safety pin to guide it through the casing. Stitch elastic with a 1/2" overlap using the zigzag stitch for maximum security.

Zigzag stich on elastic closure.
All done!

Front.
Back.


No comments:

Post a Comment