Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

Peppers Galore!

If I haven't said this before....I'll say it now....I love to grow things!  Especially our own food.  I like to think it saves me money, makes my finished product taste better, and helps me watch my weight.  One of the biggest reasons we took a free plot at the community garden this year was to teach our children where food comes from.  I think that's very important, food doesn't come from the grocery...it comes from someone's "garden".  And I have to say, my kids have thoroughly enjoyed picking the peppers and oggling the watermelons and watching the world's largest sunflower grow (that's not official yet..lol).

What have we grown this year?  Well we have a few tomatoes, watermelon, pole beans, sweet corn, yellow squash, zucchini, potatoes, and cucumbers.  Now my husband...although he doesn't eat vegetables....that man loves his hot peppers.  So now I am going to run down the list of hot pappers we are growing this year....are you ready?  Habaneros, jalapenos, red chilis, tabasco peppers, caribbean reds, thai chilis, cayenne, and bell peppers.  LOTS OF PEPPERS!  And we don't just have one plant of any of these things...we have 3-4 of each....LOTS OF PEPPERS!  So yesterday we visited and harvested and I thought we'd share what we came home with.

Now that's alot of peppers!  So what do you do with ALL THESE PEPPERS you may ask?  Well we made hot sauce.  It was REALLY simple. 
  • First we picked out the peppers we wanted to use.  In the first batch we used the tobascos and red chilis.  We added fresh onion, garlic, salt, lime juice (you can see our "lime juice" in the pic and if you haven't tried this little gem it is wonderful! It also comes in lemon.), Creole seasoning, and apple cider vinegar.  Throw it all in the blender and puree.  We literally just eyeballed all the quantities.  I will say that it takes ALOT of peppers.  Close to a pound, but other than that...it's just done to taste.

  •  Next take that puree once you've got the flavors you like in it...and bring it to a boil making sure to stir frequently
And WALA!  You've got hot sauce.


The other two batches were made with thai chilis and finally the habaneros.  The type of peppers used determines the hotness...habaneros being the hottest here obviously.  Think of all the great add ins you could do though.  Add pineapple or orange juice for citrus.  Or curry or other spices to jazz it up.  Really the possibilities are endless.  Hope this inspired someone with WWAAYYY too many peppers in their back yard too.
Now I'm going to leave you with this...what does Ollie do while we cook?


I found a baby doll in the cabinet this morning...lol.  Wonder how that got there.

No comments:

Post a Comment