Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Pregnancy changes everything (and no I'm not pregnant again!)

Oh, hey there! Long time, no pie.

Sorry to our loyal followers for the lack of posting action. I'd give you the list of excuses for my absence but it's a mile long and would just take up valuable time that I could be writing a real post.

So, to the topic at hand....the changes your body goes through after pregnancy. Now, consider this to be nothing but a rant. You probably won't learn anything from it but if you've had babies then you might recognize something and feel a sense of camaraderie because someone else (me!) has gone through the same thing.

First off, I gained around 50 lbs. with Sam. People swear up and down that I didn't look like I gained that much but let me tell you, the scale doesn't lie. I started off doing really well, drinking lots of water, eating lots of fruit but then 3rd trimester came and I could have just started an IV drip of sweet tea and been just peachy. I couldn't get enough. Sweet tea and Chic-fil-A, a deadly combo.

So of course when Sam joined us and he only weighed 7 lbs, 11 oz. I began to wonder how in the hell I was going to get rid of that other 40+ lbs. Some of it disappeared naturally but once I started teaching it really started to fall off. Not that I'm complaining. Oh wait, yes I am! And here is why...

I have had to buy a new wardrobe about 10 times over the last 2 years and it's really starting to get old. Every time I get a bunch of clothes I actually like and that fit well I either gain weight (hello, baby bump!) or lose weight. I know, I know, stop complaining about losing weight. I hear you. I get it. But seriously, my clothes being too big and looking frumpy is almost as bad as them being too tight. I can't win.

Now, on to my hair. I used to have super stick straight hair. There were times that I wish it was wavy or something but for the most part I enjoyed it. Super easy to style, very smooth, I liked it. Then, I gave birth. Then it all fell out. I'm talking big old gobs of hair just falling out when I showered or brushed it or sneezed. Didn't matter, it just came out.

We all know what happens when hair falls out though, right? It grows back. Which means I have a ton of little baby hairs popping up all around my hairline and in the middle of my scalp. And they aren't even straight! They are all kinky and curly. So now I have this big old helmet/halo looking thing of frizzy, short baby hairs all over my head. And to top it off, my once straight hair has  now decided to have a couple of weird waves in it so no matter what I do to tame it it just rebels and flips out somewhere else.

So in a fit of desperation yesterday I picked up this kit at Target. (It's the thing in the middle of the pic.)


My stylist had told me about the new Keratin treatments you can get at the salon and thought they would work well on my hair and all that and so when I saw this I thought I'd give it a shot. You wash your hair with a clarifying shampoo (included) and then put the treatment on and let it sit for 30 minutes. Then you blow dry and flat iron. It felt so disgusting and super greasy after I first did the flat iron but this morning I can tell that it has soaked in a little more. You can't get it wet for 48 hours and you are also supposed to not tuck it behind your ears or pull it back with anything that will leave a kink or bend in it. I'm sure by tomorrow evening I'll feel disgusting but if it helps even the tiniest bit then it will be worth it. I've used their other products and have some of the moroccan argan oil serum and I like it so hopefully this will help get rid of some of my post-Sam frizz.

As for the clothes situation, I don't know what I'll do. I'm still two sizes away from my pre-Sam days and I still have a bunch of those clothes but they probably won't fit the same anyway. Ugh. 

Sheila, did you ever make it back to your pre-baby size? And did your hair do a complete 180 on you? I've seen other people say that with each kid their hair got wavier so maybe that's my lot in life?

Oh, and Alyda, doesn't this all sound fun? Aren't you totally looking forward to it? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment