Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

DIY Magnetic Makeup Frame

So I don't know who to credit this to for creating it first, because it's been all over the Internets, but I made my very own magnetic makeup frame for the bathroom!


I will just let you bask for a moment in the amazingness that is hot glue and magnets.

I KNOW, RIGHT?

So if you're like me and your bathroom is shoebox-sized, but you have a tiny bit of wall space, this is the perfect solution.

Allow me to explain. Part of my New Year's resolution was to spend more time prettying myself up in the mornings before work (and before you judge me on this and think I probably already spend too much time primping, let me first note that I was making it as far as a dot of concealer and a ponytail --  no mascara, no powder, no pretty hair; it took me 20 minutes MAX to get from my bed into the car in the mornings), since now they moved my office to where I see people on a daily basis. But it was always such a hassle to find real makeup in my purse or shoved inside the eensy bit of bathroom storage that we do have, and it took so much extra time when I could have been sleeping, so I kept putting it off... and now I have no excuse.

So! How do you do this? Well, I will tell you my way (which is almost guaranteed the lazy way -- do note the paint job up above), though there are about 800 tutorials on Pinterest that will give you additional instructions.

First, you will need:
- 1 picture frame (I used an old one I had that was the wrong color)
- Sheet metal (you can go to Lowe's and have them cut some to size -- just make sure it takes magnets and isn't stainless steel -- or you can buy a $9.99 2.5x5' Oil Drip Pan at Wal-Mart and cut it up yourself with tin snips [or, in a pinch, kitchen shears, though this is much harder. Just, you know, fyi. Not that I got impatient and did it this way or anything...], in which case you will have some left over and can use it for other projects that need magnetic boards. Like desk backsplashes. Which is a later blog post....)
- Pretty (thin!) fabric or paper
- Adhesive with which to attach said pretty fabric or paper (Mod Podge, spray adhesive, etc)
- Small magnets from Michaels/Joann's, etc.
- Hot glue gun
- Spray paint, if you want to paint the frame

So, paint the frame if you like. Then, you glue the (thin!) fabric or paper to the metal sheet, insert into picture frame (I do not recommend leaving the glass on in front, unfortunately, because I found out later that it minimizes the magnets' power and things will fall off ... on your head... scattering bobby pins everywhere...), and hang on the wall.

Now the fun part -- collect all your makeup, and hot glue those magnets to the back. Note: Be a fan of overkill on magnets here and don't skimp, because the last thing you want is some expensive compact crashing down and shattering on the floor. The magnetized compacts should stick firmly to the frame, but not so much that you have trouble removing them.

I added a cup for my makeup brushes (everyone who knows me just said, "YOU have makeup brushes???" in utter astonishment, and I don't blame them. YES, I do. I bought them last week at Target. So there!), a little box for bobby pins, and a hook thingy for my hair elastics. The box and the cup are just recycled plastic containers covered in pretty paper.

And that's it! How easy, right??

(I know, it needs another coat of paint on the frame, but it's been raining nonstop here and I had to bring it in right away last time I tried to spray-paint some more on the fire escape. Also, yes, I know I totally need to stop taking crappy pictures with my cell phone, but I have -- again -- misplaced the charger for my camera battery so you will just have to bear with me for now. Also, you will possibly notice the very high-up toilet paper roll thing. This is because our cat Pixel likes to shred TP rolls, and I got tired of waking up to find that it had "snowed" in our apartment. Ignore it.)

I cannot tell you how much more awesome this makes getting ready in the morning.

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I'll have to create something similar for my bathroom once we move into the new house. Also, I'm glad you explained the toilet paper roll placement, because I was wondering about that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it was the only solution we could come up with. It's just too far for her to reach. And supporting her TP habit was getting expensive!

    ReplyDelete