Pages

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Baking in the microwave

So lately I've been über busy. You may have noticed. Anyway, all this busy-ness equals less time for cooking and that means even less time for baking.

So one weekend while I was home alone with Sam I noticed a recipe on pinterest for microwave coffee cake. I tried it for breakfast the next morning and while it wasn't great ( I think some measurements were off), it wasn't awful either. So this began my search for more microwave baked good recipes.

Mostly what I found were recipes for a five minute chocolate cake in a mug. I tried a few different ones and found a combination that I liked that goes something like this:

3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tbsp flour
3 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp milk
3 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
Whites only from one egg
Dash of vanilla

I split this between two short coffee cups like you would find in a set of china and microwaved them at the same time for three minutes.

You can test it and adjust it how you like but the rule of three seemed to work for our taste on this one.

So today I was browsing through Facebook and saw the Pioneer Woman had made a strawberry oat bar thing and I thought immediately of a recipe given to me by my college roommate and bridesmaid, Claire.

It was the weirdest thing when I saw her do it for the first time. Mostly I remember being mad because I had leftovers in the square glass dish and she asked me to clean it so she could bake something and I didn't get why she couldn't use a metal baking pan. We didn't get along in the beginning (we both are a little particular about certain things) but obviously that's all changed now!

When I was getting married my
Mom organized a little Martha Stewart themed get together after the rehearsal dinner and each lady was to bring a recipe to share with me. I was overly excited when Claire pulled out her recipe for jam crumble squares. It's still one of the strangest recipes to me but they are delicious nonetheless. Do here is Claire's recipe for jam squares. Her original recipe seems to be in British measurements but I roughly converted it today and they still turned out delish!

1.5 sticks of butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup oats
3/4 cup jam

Lightly grease an 8" square glass baking dish. Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Stir in flour, salt, baking powder, and oats. Mix thoroughly. Press half the mixture into the baking dish. Melt the jam in the microwave for 30-45 seconds until pourable. Spread evenly over the base. Crumble on the remaining oat mixture. Bake in the microwave for 7-8 minutes or until bubbly in the center. Cool before cutting into squares.

I used peach preserves made by a high school friend. We did a homemade canned good exchange last summer and these peach preserves are on of the last to remain. I couldn't wait for them to cool so I took a bite right out of the microwave and it was gooey like a peach cobbler. Then later as they cooled they were more bar-like. Yum.

So that is what I've been doing with the spare ten minutes I have here and there. My apologies for the lack of pictures. We ate it too fast!

Oh and I hope this post isn't weirdly formatted. This is my first try with the Blogger app since we just took our computer to the apple store to be fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment