Pages

Friday, June 22, 2012

Pork and Potato Curry

Now that I'm home most days I try to have dinner ready so that when Reid and Sam get home we can either sit down and eat or go for a swim and then eat. (FYI, the best kind of neighbor is the kind with a pool! Hi, Gina!) Since we've been doing the swim thing a lot I've cooked a couple of stew-like things that you get going in a pot and then leave to simmer. I made something the other night called Ground Beef Stew, which I realize does not at all sound appetizing but honestly it's my favorite type of food, hearty, warm, and super easy. I didn't have any V8 so I subbed in a can of tomato soup and all was well. Also no green beans because frozen green beans are yuck so I used frozen peas instead. All in all it was super tasty with some cornbread and Sam gobbled it up.

So I had also taken some pork chops out of the freezer and was trying to figure out what to do with them last night. I had a bunch of small red potatoes so I googled "pork potato recipe" to see what might come up that would let me use up some of the potatoes before they got soft and started growing things down in the cabinet. Mostly I got a lot of curry recipes which works out well because I had most of the ingredients on-hand. I used this one as a base and then tweaked it myself. There are no pictures but here's the best description I can give of what I remember doing differently.

Pork and Potato Curry - version 2.0
1 lb. pork, cubed (I trimmed the fat off 4 boneless pork chops and cubed that)
1 can diced tomatoes, don't drain
1 small onion, diced (I used Vidalia but it doesn't matter)
6 or 7 red potatoes, diced
3 tbsp of mild curry paste
dash of coriander, cumin, dried mustard, curry powder, garlic powder
1 can coconut milk
3 or 4 tbsp honey
salt and pepper

1. Saute onion in olive oil until translucent. At this point I sprinkled the dashes of dried spices over the onion. I used a 1/8 tsp to scoop the spices out but they were by no means level.

2. Add curry paste to onion and stir, heating paste through.

3. Add pork and sauté until edges are browned. You aren't trying to cook it all the way through, just getting a crust on the outside.

4. Dump in tomatoes, juice and all. Add potatoes. Stir until everything is coated with spices.

5. It's at this point that I added the coconut milk. I had it in the cabinet and thought it would make a nice addition but you can just use water or chicken broth if that's what you have on hand. I added the entire can but mostly you just want to cover the potatoes so they can have enough liquid to cook.

6. Simmer for awhile and then give it a taste so you can adjust the seasoning. It's at this point that I gave a generous salting and then some pepper. It still needed something else so I gave a good drizzle of honey. I also had only originally used one tablespoon of curry paste but added two more at this stage so I would say go ahead and use three in the initial sauté.

7. Turn the heat down to low and let it simmer for an hour to an hour and a half. Serve with rice and naan if you have it.

So Sam wasn't a huge fan but that could have been the crackers he filled up on at the pool. Reid enjoyed it which is saying a good bit since he's not a big fan of Indian food. I served it with jasmine rice that I cooked with some peas in it for color and I warmed up a few pieces of naan bread in the oven. The potatoes got really creamy and the pork became really tender the longer it cooked. All in all it was pretty tasty.


No comments:

Post a Comment